Few people are aware that it is the cut of a gemstone that contributes the most to its value as well as other factors such as clarity, carat and color. This is especially important when it comes to diamonds. The cut of the stone is designed to bring out the optimal brilliance and shine of the gemstone. The right cut is therefore not only important to the value but also the beauty of the stone. So which gemstone cuts are best for a ring and which should you choose?
1. The Depth
Each gemstone has a different ideal depth ratio at which it should be cut in order to maximize color and brilliance. A stone that is cut too deep or too shallow will not reflect the true qualities of the stone and will detract from its value. A cut should therefore always be chosen according to the ideal depth. If you are unsure about the perfect depth of cut for your chosen gemstone, then a professional jeweller will be able to guide you into deciding what the best cut you should have.
Gemstones are rarely cut to be smooth and rounded but rather to contain facets or many faces. Once again, the size, shape and number of facets can contribute or detract from the brilliance of the stone. So it is important to choose a shape with the ideal facets to enhance the beauty of the gemstone.
3. Popular Gemstone Cuts
It is recommended to go with what is currently trending in gemstone cuts in order to maximize the value further. Currently, the 7 most popular cuts for gemstones to be set in rings include:
– Round cut is both classic and timeless and has been a popular cut throughout time. The cut is ideal for most types of precious stones but is usually used on rubies and diamonds.
– Oval cuts are just as popular for many gemstones but are most commonly used on emeralds and sapphires.
– The Princess or Square cut was popularized by Princess Diana’s engagement ring and its clean lines make it the ideal choice for many different gemstones.
– Rounded Pillow cuts are ideal for large, colorful gemstones to bring out their brilliance in softer tones.
– Pear or Teardrop cuts are suitable for smaller stones.
– Rectangles are also popular cuts for different types of gemstones.
– Hearts may be romantic but they are not as popular for gemstone cuts.
Although there is so much importance placed on the cut of a precious stone, it is often up to personal preference. Most people are willing to forego some value in order to get the shape and cut that they desire.
When you are ready to find the perfect ring or any other jewellery, then come to the professionals at Raincity. Our professional and friendly staff are sure to find you the perfect ring. No matter what you are looking for, we are sure to find you the best and most stunning jewellery.